Friday, February 8, 2008

Music Of The Night.....



Have I mentioned my profound love for musicals? No? What a slacker I am!

I caught the Broadway Bug on London's West End when I was 12. We had a school field trip to see "42nd Street". I didn't know what it was but a day out of school in London sounded a bit of ok. It was like one hit of crack - I was hooked. I was fortunate to live in England for 11 years and during that time, I got to see quite a few musicals on the West End. I saw the aforementioned 42nd Street, West Side Story, Cats, and best of all - Phantom of the Opera.

My dad came over to visit (they left England in 1991 and I stayed until 1993) in April of 1993. He informs me that my mom told him he must get tickets to see Phantom since this would be his last chance to see it over in England. I have to admit to some raving mild jealousy until he informed me that I was going along for the show. A. M. A. Z. I. N. G. I got to spend a fabulous day with my father capped off by an amazing performance.

Since returning to the States, my momma has taken me along to see some musicals here. Les Miserable, Fame, Ms. Saigon, and Mama Mia. We took Kelly along to Mama Mia and she caught the bug. To watch a musical through someone else's eyes the first time is like the first Christmas your kids realize what Christmas is about (Presents, duh!) and their eyes light up and their feet dance when they see the loot under the tree. Priceless. Turns out, Phantom is touring here is Omaha and I just proudly purchased 2 tickets to go see it with Kelly.

Can you tell I'm a bit excited? I'm going to be singing like a fool for the next few weeks. It sure helps take the sting out of the SuperBowlSuck! Fucking Patriots! Also, it reminds me of a great story that I promise to share - it has to do with my parents, New York, and my dad making out with a guy on stage. Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LUCKY!!!!

I LOVE Phantom! I'd have killed to see it when Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman were the Phantom and Christine!

Did you get my email about the award I gave you? You better shake a stick and pass that sucker out! You don't want bad award mojo getting you. :)

Sasha said...

That sounds like fun. I'd love to see a show in NYC. I've seen Annie and Chorus Line when they were touring and stopped here. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Deb said...

Love, love, love Phantom!!!