Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mama's Little Boy Has A Broken Heart

Dear Shaggy's Ex-Girlfriend,

You and Shaggy dated for over a year. While I truly didn't expect the relationship to last past high school, I was happy to see him so happy. I truly understand that teenagers date and teenagers break up - the breaking up wasn't really an issue for me.

However, what was an issue for me was the way you handled it. You handled it like a real bitch. I'm sure in the course of the year you dated, Shaggy told you all about his father. Yes, that would be the one who left him when he was 9. The one he hasn't seen since then. The one that abandoned him so cruelly, Shaggy felt it was his fault and wondered what he did wrong. Now, you aren't responsible for any of that and believe me when I say that I was there. I helped him through it and hopefully helped heal his heart just as he healed mine.

So, what is this shit that you told him when you broke up. That you were breaking up with him because, "he didn't seem that into you". I was pretty sure that was a bullshit excuse at the time but remembering what it was like to be a teenage girl, I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I remember that in high school, it is better to be the dumper than the dumpee. I remember breaking up with boys before they had a chance to do it to me. So, I kinda understood. We (his father of his heart and I) stood behind him and talked to him and tried to help him heal. We advised him to not call you and seem desperate but to give you room. We told him that perhaps you were having a bad day/week/whatever and if it was meant to be that it would work out but not to hold out hope.

We see him moping around the house, desperately trying to rekindle old friendships that he let languish because he devoted every spare minute to you. We watched as he struggled to find things to do on his weekends - weekends he used to spend with you. We understood, believe me we did and didn't blame you for any of that.

Until yesterday - when I find out that you have a new boyfriend. Let me tell you how much that pissed me off. Not that you had a new boyfriend but in the way you ended things. That was a totally chickenshit way to do it - putting the blame on him knowing what he's been through and knowing that he would be making every effort to try and fix what couldn't be fixed. You owed him the truth. The truth that it was YOU who was no longer into HIM.

Again, I don't blame you for the fact that you no longer wanted to date my son. I blame you for the bullshit way you handled this. Also, if your new relationship doesn't work out, I hope like hell that you don't think Shaggy will be there to be your rebound boy. He deserves better than that.

Sincerely -

Shaggy's Mom who loves him very much!

2 comments:

Sasha said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for Shaggy. I remember ohsowell how it feels to have that broken heart in high school.

You're a good momma.

Unknown said...

Clearly, she's a skank.

Tell Shaggy I say he can do better.